Saturday, November 12, 2005

My future home in Macedonia...

Thursday I got out of the house for the first time so that I could go to the meeting to learn about site announcements. They took us trainees in one at a time. Todd got Negotino, Marita and Shauna are both near Lake Ohrid, probably the most beautiful region of the country, Lindsay is in the large city of Kumanovo and I am in the city of Kochani.

Overall, I am happy with my site, although I think I would’ve liked a larger city. Kochani is approx 33,000 and the school I’ll be working at also has some Roma kids, so I’m glad about that. There is also another current PCV in this town, Marilyn, who is working with an NGO to help the Roma population, which I’m excited about. I’m also not that far from Stip, which is where Rachel, a Mac 8 who’s extended for a third year, lives and teaches at a high school.

My guide book says there’s not much about the town of Kochani, but a couple things of interest to me is that there are some hot springs nearby, as well as some ancient roman ruins and is near to the ancient Roman Road “Diagonal way” which connected Stobi to Bulgaria.

Also I've been told that this is a beautiful part of the country and that there are some nice hikes in the area. It is roughly 2 hours away from the capital of Skopje.

Next week we will all be meet our counterparts and visit our future sites for 3 days.

“There is not much in the town itself as, until communist industrialization, it had mostly been a farming settlement since the time of Aleksander III of Macedon. Around 330 BC, Aleksandar brought back rice from India, which was planted in these fertile fields. The ancient paddy fields are still worked today, many by hand, and they provide most of Macedonia’s rice.”

--The Bradt Guide to Macedonia by Thammy Evans.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Hi Jill, I, miss you!! Mikey Jr. is with me right now and he misses you two. He's in my new carrier hidding from everyone all curled up with his little blankie. It's so cute. Pam, missplaced somethin this morning so the whole house is going nut's. Mikey and I, got out of there. Couldn't stand the maddness of it all. So what's new with you? The Holiday's are comming up and I'm really gonna be missing you. The Holiday's aren't gonna be the same because I, won't beable to see you. Mikey, either. Andrea's, allway's asking about you. She misses you also. I,am feeling alot better now not sick no more. Well you have fun and be safe and stay warm. Love you allway's, Baby Bear and Mikey Jr.