Monday, May 29, 2006

Graduation

May 22nd was the day of the highschool graduation in town. My friend and former PCV Leanne, who was in this town as a volunteer prior to me came to visit. She had worked at the highschool and came to see her students graduate.

It was fun to go and see. Many folks from town come to the highschool to see the 4th year students (seniors). They get all dressed up and come to the school entrance like it's the Oscars. Everyone clapps and cheers and hollars while they walk past and they go inside the school. Leanne told me it's tradition that they go to the school, meet their home room teacher, and give them a gift. Then when it's all over they leave and they went to a nearby restaurant on a lake and partied the night away.

Leanne was visiting for a week and she stayed with me. It was nice to have her company here and I was sad to see her go. It also made me realize how much of an impact you make as a volunteer and how much of an impact Macedonia makes on you after two years. Wow.

No comments: