Saturday, May 20, 2006

My Birthday

May 19th was my 32nd birthday. I decided to have a birthday party in my English club and give my students a chance to experience what a kid’s birthday party is like in the U.S. I had decorations (including cone hats), noise makers, a banner saying “Happy Birthday”, sweets and soda. I didn’t have time or funds for a real birthday cake so I bought some brownies, we lit the candles and the kids sang “Happy Birthday” to me. Then we played some games, the highlight was “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” (a new game for them, and they loved it). The winner got a prize of a mini stuffed football. Then my students totally surprised me by giving me some gifts, a jumbo chocolate bar AND the funniest stuffed animal frog I’ve ever seen. He is a cartoon character here called “Crazy Frog” that is an advertising gimmick for a phone company. But he also has his own song and sounds similar to the Tasmanian Devil, with a jibberish spiel.
Crazy Frog Crazy Frog, my stuffed animal is a copy of this.

That weekend I also got together with some of my fellow PCV friends in Negotino where I was treated to pizza and coffee. It was low-key, but we had a good time.

What do Macedonians do on birthdays? They have a big party and young people will go out dancing afterwards. They also buy a box of chocolates or sweets and hand them out to their friends, colleagues or classmates (which I did as well). One of my fellow teachers gave me a small elephant figurine that is supposed to be good luck for the house. If you’re a young, unmarried woman like me than after the birthday wishes they will ask you when you will have a boyfriend and get married?

P.S. My digital camera is currently broken, unfortunately. I don't know how long it will take to get it fixed. A friend let me borrow her camera for the birthday party, so if I can, I will later post the pics. But it'll be awhile before I have pics of my own.

No comments: