Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In Transylvania

My visit to Macedonia was like a whirlwind, but it was also very satisfying to see my friends (Macedonians and PCVs) again as well as my former students and host family. I went now so that I could be at my school on the last day, which is a day of music and dancing and celebration. I had a lot of fun. My time in Macedonia was full of smiles and laughs and tears. But I'm very glad that I did it, I have no doubt that it was the right decision.

Ten days flew by in a wink and then I took the bus/train to Bucharest, Romania and met up with my friend Matt. We were in the Romanian capital for 2 days, I was able to see a little bit of the city, which reminds me of a combination of Skopje, Budapest, Buenas Aires, and Brussels. Sometimes I would have to stop and remember where I was! I also took a tour of the Parliament Building, which is apparently the second largest building in the world, after the Pentagon.

Next we stopped in Sinaia, where there is a beautiful fairytale-like castle. Now we are in Brasov, in Transylvania. It is a beautiful country and a very interesting region. And yes, we plan to visit Count Draculas castle!

No comments: