Friday, November 07, 2008

Macedonia Update

MACEDONIA UPDATE:

Well, one thing that is interesting is that Kosovo got independence from Serbia on February 18th of this year. To read more, check out:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23203607/

Also, on a personal note, my friend and fellow Peace Corps Volunteer Shauna fell in love with a local Macedonian guy during her service and they have been in the process of getting him a U.S. Visa for almost a year now, after she finished her PC service and returned to the U.S. Yesterday he was granted the Visa and soon he will join her in Nebraska. Can you imagine being separated from your fiance for a year??? I am very happy for them both and will attend the ceremony sometime next year.

In addition, I'll be attending a wedding in Japan next year as my friend Maki will be marrying her friend Fulgence, from Tanzania, that we visited on my trip there almost 2 years ago. I have Fulgence to thank for the opportunity to visit Tanzania and who really made my stay there an enjoyable one, as well as giving us a place to stay, and being a tour guide and translator.

Both weddings are tentatively scheduled for either spring or summer of 2009.

I am also happy to report that the National English Essay contest that I helped to start has been continuing thanks to other Peace Corps Volunteers that came after me, as well as local organizations. They are currently working on the 3rd annual contest. I am proud to be a part of the creation of this awesome tradition!

2 comments:

Melody said...

where does your nebraskan RPCV friend live??

Jesse Warner said...

Lincoln. Is that near you?
:)