Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Road Blocks

This is a crazy time to be looking for a job, and that is especially true in education. With many schools RIFF'ing (laying teachers off), the job market is saturated. It doesn't look good for a newbie like me. So, still considering out of state. Besides Indiana, where my sister is, I'm also thinking about applying to Alaska, since they are hiring. I was in Anchorage in 2002 for the Iditarod Dog Sled Race, so at least I have an idea of what their winters are like! Don't want to move, but my options are limited.

I just found out that the principal at the middle school where I was planning to teach my lessons (as part of getting my science endorsement) is probably not going to give me permission. Don't know why, some kind of red tape, so I'm pretty frustrated about that. At the same time, I learned that I have to do a lot more than teach two science lessons, I have to show about 40 competencies before getting final approval. It's like having to do student teaching all over again. So it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to complete the science endorsment by fall anyways, which is very disappointing. The good news is that if I can just pass the West-E exam then I'll be "highly qualified" and can get hired to teach Science, even without the endorsement. I've registered to take the test on May 30th. I only have two more classes to take, which I plan to take this summer. It looks like I won't be able to work this summer. I've applied to a bunch of summer school jobs, but then I just learned that Edmonds School District has nixed all of their summer school classes anyway. And I probably can't even get a job at McDonalds because of unemployment being so high. So, I have to scrimp and save with my measily little substitute teaching wage so that I can survive three months without any income. I am living with other family members, I cannot support myself on my substitute income. The main comfort of my current position is that I'm not the only one who is struggling during these difficult times.

No comments: