Friday, December 01, 2006

Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving Posted by Picasa


Thanksgiving dinner is a big celebration in Macedonia where all PC volunteers and the new trainees attend along with their host family members. We must have had about 300 people there. Turkeys are ordered, everyone brings food, and an entertaining program follows dinner. This year, due to the large size of attendees, was held at a Veles hotel instead of at a local restaurant. I believe 17 turkeys were consumed. I made a Jello salad topped with whipped cream (I had brought Jello back with me when I was in the states this summer). The Macedonians didn’t know what it was and asked me if it was sweet or salty. They must have liked it because it was all eaten up. In fact, all the food was consumed. Dinner was served buffet style. I made sure that I got a little turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and desert. It was delicious! After dinner all the training groups put on skits or songs, one group even did a fashion show of traditional Thanksgiving dress including an American Indian and a Puritan Pilgrim. It was really funny! That weekend Shauna and I went to visit our host families. One sunny afternoon we got together with our host family children and went on a walk in the nearby hills.

The Turkey Posted by Picasa


The Dinner Dash Posted by Picasa


The Dinner Posted by Picasa


Yum! Posted by Picasa


Host Family Members Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that was YOUR terrific jello salad!! I loved it --- what a great blog you have - we peace corps trainees in the village of chashka have no internet, so only when coming to the city of veles do I check in....so blogreading is a rare event as my time and money are limited.

Thanks for mentioning our skit - fashion show - and your kitten is beautiful.

looking forward to revisiting your site and to building my own after I start working in Kruchevo. Go, Jesse!