Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Muslim World

Happy New Year!

From the Seattle PI, this is a well-written article about the need for compassion and tolerance for those of different faiths. I recently had a chance to learn a little bit about the Muslim faith when visiting a friend in Dubai, UAE, my first time in the Middle East. It made me realize that our society has a lot of misperceptions and misunderstandings about this part of the world and the people there. Not every place in the Middle East is dangerous and not everyone who is Muslim is a terrorist. We are quick to judgement and fear to make these kind of damaging associations. Extreme religious fever of any kind can be dangerous, and does not represent the vast majority. As a global village we are in need of more tolerance and understanding. I hope that this article can help people to realize that the common thread for many people of different faiths is for peace, love and compassion.

---------------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't find 'them' in Muslim world

> Muslims are savages, a reader told me. So I flew overseas to
> part of the Muslim world to see for myself. What I
> saw is something that can help people, in Seattle and
> beyond, grapple with the kinds of religious flare-ups that popped up
> so often in 2006.
>
* Read the full article at: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/jamieson/297855_robert30.html

No comments: