Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My Itinerary & What You Can Do

Wow! My departure date is almost here! I've been so busy trying to get ready...packing, getting supplies, spending time with friends and family, finalizing business & finances, sorting out last minute details, and trying to keep my sanity!

Yes, I'm nervous and excited and freaking out and everything in between. I keep reminding myself that these feelings are all normal...

Here is my itinerary...(times are all local)

Thursday, Sept. 22nd 1:15pm Depart Seattle 9pm Arrive WA DC

Friday, Sept. 23rd 2pm Peace Corps Orientation begins in WA DC. I'll meet the rest of my Macedonian PCV's (Peace CorpsVolunteers). Our group is the 10th group to thecountry, hence we are called "MAC 10"

Sunday, Sept. 24th, 5:45pm Depart WA DC flyingAustrian airlines to Vienna, arrive 8:40am, layover inVienna, depart 1:45pm

Monday, Sept. 25th, 3:30pm Arrive in Skopje, Macedonia

Training will be held in the town of Veles, about 20miles from Skopje, the capital city of Macedonia.Training is 3 months, during that time I'll be living with a host family. In January 2006 I'll start my 2 year service in a townor city in the country, to be determined, doing English Teacher Training.

I believe there is 10 hours difference in time between Seattle and Macedonia. At least, that is until Daylight Savings Time ends.

Some people have asked about sending mail. My reply is yes please. However, I'm not sure about receiving packages during training. If you'd like my mailing address in Macedonia, please e-mail me for it. Others have asked what else they can do. My reply is to pray or send good thoughts and energy, if that is your inclination. What else? Be your sweet selves. Feel free to share this website with others who you think may be interested. And thanks again for all your love and support!


Here are some quotes that friends and family have shared with me this last week...

"With all the arguments, pro and con, for going to the moon, no one suggested that we should do it to look at the Earth. But that may, in fact, have been the most important reason of all."
--Joseph P. Allan, former astronaut.

This Great Lesson
"We can never make the world safe by fighting. Every nation must learn that the people of all nations are children of God, and must share the wealth of the world. You may say this is impracticable, far away, can never be accomplished, but it is the work we are appointed to do. Sometime, somehow, somewhere, we must ever teach this great lesson."
--Olympia Brown

1 comment:

Jules said...

Hi jill,

I am rooting and praying for you from PC Jamaica! It is a wild ride you're embarking on, but with patience and flexibility you will learn and experience so many amazing things even during training. Our traing was split up in to three separate sector training locations so I really got to know the 21 in Wat/San well. It only gets better after training, so keep that in mind when seems difficult or boring. I hope the language is easy for you to pick up. Have fun and keep the updates coming!