Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Why join the Peace Corps?

The following is an essay that I wrote for my Peace Corps application about a year ago...

For as long as I remember I’ve wanted to make a difference in other people’s lives. I discovered early on, from volunteering at soup kitchens to working with homeless children that helping others is incredibly rewarding. I also realized that I love to travel, meet new people, learn about new cultures and have different experiences. In addition, I found that I really liked working with kids and families, from helping out with vacation bible school to working at the Ronald McDonald House, assisting families with ill children. Also, I discovered the joy of teaching, like the moment that a student learns something, seeing their eyes light up with a smile on their face. I have considered joining the Peace Corps for many years, but I wasn’t sure what I would want to do. Now, several years after completing college, I feel I have many skills to offer, with teaching youth, community experience, good communication skills, creativity, patience and flexibility. I was also concerned about the two-year time commitment being a long time. But when I went to Ecuador to teach English for a year, I noticed that one year flew by quickly and afterwards felt that I could easily stay for a second year. I also enjoy a challenge and work hard to pursue my goals. I’m sensitive to other people’s needs and strive for a balance with my own needs, always with a focus on the task at hand. I learn from my mistakes and always try to keep a positive attitude. My sense of humor helps me keep my sanity and stay in check. I have been a tourist on six continents in twenty countries. I know that I can adapt to new situations and manage in new places that have a different language and culture. I’m a people person, I work well with others and I really enjoy helping people. My experience in Ecuador and my six months as an exchange student in Australia showed me that I much prefer to live abroad amongst the locals rather than be a tourist. It’s a totally different experience, much more rewarding and enriching. I look forward to once more living, working with and assisting local people in another country, learning their language and their culture. Helping others allows me to grow as a person just as much as I am helping others to improve their lives. I feel strongly that my experience can be a benefit to the Peace Corps program just as much as the Peace Corps program can benefit me. I believe that my experience in the Peace Corps will be rewarding and beneficial after I return to the US to pursue a career in education and social work. I’m excited for this next chapter in my life to begin. Life is an adventure, full of discoveries, there are ups and there are downs. The opportunity to serve in the Peace Corps is an opportunity that I don’t want to miss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Jill,
Good luck and I can't wait to hear about your travels. I've added your blog to my favorites!
Irini

Anonymous said...

Jill,
It will be great to experience Macedonia through this blog. You never told me you spent half a year in Australia! I'm jealous. Good luck to you and the rest of MAC10.
Ray Healy

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Jill, for carrying the message of 'daring to dream'. You are an ispiration to many, and countless others to come. Bless you on your journey and thankyou in advance for sharing it. What a thrill...WE get to go to Macadonia.

love to you,
Peace to you,
Many miracles!

Wendy Schneider/Seattle, WA