Monday, October 03, 2005

Different Schools of Fish

There are different schools of thought about the Peace Corps and what it does. Just like there are different ideas about how useful or appropriate it is for people around the world to learn English. I struggled with whether or not I wanted to become part of the US government when I personally have issues with it's foreign policy. I also struggled with the idea of teaching people in Ecuador and other countries English. I don't rejoice at the idea that English is becoming the universal language. However, that is beyond my control. What I concluded is that, while I do not believe that American culture is better than other cultures, the reality is that by learning English, people can better their lives, for example, get a better job. That is the reality, right or wrong.

Also, from my experiences in other countries and cultures, I know that to understand another culture you have to experience it to really appreciate it. There is the well known idea that you can give a man a fish or you can teach him how to fish. The Peace Corps goal is to teach him how to fish.

"In 1961, President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps to promote world peace and friendship. Three simple goals comprise the Peace Corps' mission:

1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women.
2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
3. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of all Americans."

While I don't believe that the PC is perfect or infallable I do believe that it makes a positive difference. For example, countries that the PC used to go to 20 years ago, for example, Chile, have become self sufficient to the point that PCV's don't need to go there anymore (which, of course, is also argueable, but from actually traveling to Chile and other countries such as Bolivia, I can say from what I saw with my own eyes that a country like Bolivia has a greater need for PCV's right now than Chile).

So, what I am doing in Macedonia right now is learning the language and culture. I would not have this opportunity if it wasn't for the PC. And how many of you would be learning about Macedonia if it were not for my experience here now?

I don't believe that I'm going to change the world. I don't have unrealistic goals of what the PC can do. In fact, I think that I have more to learn than what I have to teach.

The teacher becomes the student. And I am eager to learn.

No comments: