Monday, October 03, 2005

My Brother is a Brat

Learning Macedonian is very interesting. The language is very unique, using a Cyrillic alphabet (and not latin based, as Spanish is). However, there are words that are similar to English or Spanish. For example, the word for "table" is "masa". The word for "brother" is "brat". The word for "dog" is "koo-chay" (which sounds a lot like one of my best friend's dog's name). The word for "small" is "malo", where the word "malo" means 'bad' in Spanish!

Although I'm not the fastest learner, I do enjoy learning other languages. I like the way the words are pronounced and roll off your tongue. Macedonian also has a rolled "r" like in Spanish. Writing it is also proving a challenge (however, learning Macedonian is not as hard as Chinese would be! As some of you know, I was originally nominated for Asia! And I learned that indeed, had I been medically cleared in time, I would have gone to teach at a university in China--I met my original Placement Officer in DC). Nevertheless, I am now very glad to be in Macedonia, learning their language.

Oh, and have I mentioned that they have Turkish toilets here? Thank goodness my host family has a western toilet, but in restaurants and in my school where I have 4 hours of language lessons every day, there is a turkish toilet (just do a google search of images to see what one looks like). And when I was in Ecuador I quickly learned that the plumbing system cannot cope with toilet paper and so therefore, the paper goes in a bin next to the toilet...well, it is the same here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, tried to leave a comment on your previous post but was not able to. I think it's great that you are participating in the Peace Corps even though you don't agree with US Foreign Policy. I don't believe that your participation in the Peace Corps is implicit agreement with everything that the US does. To that end, you may be able to do more in the Peace Corps to further your beliefs than if you were at home. Take care! Ray Healy

Jesse Warner said...

Thanks Ray, I'd disabled comments on the previous post, but I'll re-instate that too.

Alex said...

Ji,, I, love you lot's and miss you lot's. Mikey Jr. dose also. Everything here is going great and you take care and I'll see you. I'm glad you like my website. It's great. I, just have noway of putting my picture on it. Butt maybee you and I, can do that together when you get home or if you can you can do it from there. Well you take care and I' see ya. Also Mikey Jr.a nd I, want you to be Mikey Jr.'s God Mommie.