Tuesday, October 18, 2005

An Unusual Americanka

My weekend was good but it went by too fast. Some of the other volunteers and myself went on a little hike on Saturday, we walked up the nearby "mountain" (large hill) that our village huddles next to. It was soooo nice to get out of the village, get a little break, some fresh air and sun and everything. One of my favorite moments was when I discovered a praying mantis and was able to pick it up and get some photos of it. I've explained to my host family and other locals that it is unusual for American girls to like insects and frogs like I do. I wanted to explain that because it seems that a lot of what we volunteers do and how we are is interpreted to represent all of the US. My host grandmother thought that since I do not eat much bread that all Americans do not like to eat bread.

I just finished my second day at the local elementary school. Other than having to be there at the awful hour of 7:30am, it is all good. I am hoping that I will not have to go to the school that early on a regular basis, but it doesn't look promising. I have to get up at 6:30am in order to get a taxi there on time. And as many of you know, I am not a morning person!

The other thing that my family thinks is strange is that I do not like to drink whole milk with a dallop of honey in it, yet I'll add sugar to my yogurt (since it is plain and soupy). They don't understand why us volunteers don't like the cheese, why we want to spend time alone or why we don't feel the need to spend the entire day having "nagosti"; hanging out having tea and goodies at each others houses.

I've also had to tell my family and locals that I am unusual in the amount of traveling I've done. Even amongst the other PC volunteers, I've been surprised to find out that I really am a kind of freak about traveling. I know it's not that common for Americans to travel as much as I have. And I'm not trying to boast here, I feel a little self conscious about it.

I also am probably driving my host mom crazy because I don't give myself a full half-hour to eat breakfast and she thinks I'm going to get sick because I don't dry my hair after a shower (one of the advantages to having short hair).

Well, this can all be politely chuckled about and that is fine. My family is really sweet. The other day I also was able to watch a football (soccer) match on TV with my host brother. Oh, that's another thing, an americanka interested in sports? I think my host brother and dad can adjust to that just fine.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Hi Sweetie, how are you? I'm doing fine!!
I, miss you!! Mikey Jr. Missis you also. Andrea, ask's about you all the time too. Hey Sweetie, I, wish you were with me last week when I, had a really,really terrible appoingtment with a female Dr. Meenie. Because she was like so totally meant o me and she was calling me names and stuff. I, was crying. I, did report her of course. She had the nerve to call me A MENTAL PERSON!! Also she asked me where is my Case-Worker and I, told her I, don't need to bring him with me because I'm capable of doing EVERYTHING myself. She didn't bellieve me. I, didn't like that. Why are people like that? She is the oral Surgen thsat is gonna fix my teeth unless I, can find someone else at Harborview to do it. Oh yeah this all happened at Harborview where I, work at. I, have been telling EVERYONE at Harborview what happened and there not happy either. Just thought I, would let you know. I, mean sinse I, tell you everything anyway. Butt beside's that not much else is going. I, rode the Sounder Train that was fun. I, saw my Daddy, and he say's hello. Well you take care and I'll see ya. Love ya.Stacie!!

Anonymous said...

Heya Jillybeans! Yes, you are unusual, (grin!) I can hardly wait to visit, I'll show your host family that some Americans eat bread, yum! And whole milk with honey? I'll have to try that. And why don't you like the cheese? It sounds as if I'd like "nagosti" too. Hard to believe we're so "genetically and environmentally similar" huh? Haha. Glad you like your student teaching, I knew you would. Sorry you have to get up so early, I know that ain't easy for ya. Hope you are getting enough sleep, hint hint!! How big is your class and how far away is the school since you have to take a taxi? So, take care sweetie and love you lots and lots and lots!!
Yr sis, Dee

Jesse Warner said...

"Nagosti" simply means to go to someone's house to have coffee, tea and sweets. It is nice, except that there is a tendency for it to last hours and hours and hours...
There are different classes that I will work with, from 6th to 8th grade. The largest class is 38, the smallest has about 25. It takes about 10 minutes by taxi to travel from my village to Veles.