Thursday, October 20, 2005

A possible prospect assignment

This afternoon I met with some Peace Corps staff and learned of an interesting possible assignment. It is rare to learn of specific assignments before placement interviews (which don't take place until October 31st), it is like classified information about where and what specific assignments are available. However, from word of mouth and talking with PC staff I had heard a few things. For example, that there are no TEFL placements this year in Skopje or Veles (which disappointed me because I'd been thinking that I'd like to be in one of those sites).

When I mentioned that I'm interested in working with street youth as a secondary project (TEFL being my primary one), I learned about a placement that really piqued my interest. There is a placement for teaching at a school for street kids. I know that this would be a very difficult assignment. It is working with the Roma population, who are an ethnic group where the people are, generally speaking, poor and disadvantaged. I also know that the location would be a suburb of Skopje, the capital (pop approx 600,000), which would also have it's advantages. I don't have any other specifics, I'll have to wait until our site placement interviews. This really sounds like something up my alley, something that I would really like to do.

So, I'm very jazzed right now about this prospect, it is going to be difficult not to get my hopes up too high. Besides, the Peace Corps has already been teaching me all about expectations...so far, with my track record, most of my expectations have been challenged. For example, I was originally nominated for Asia. So I had 9 months of expectations that I'd go to Asia, and hopes of going to China or Thailand. I was also nominated to leave in June. Instead I was sent to Eastern Europe (Macedonia), and left in September. I had also had hopes of being in Veles for training, instead I got a little village, but fortunately it is nearby to the town. Fortunately, it has all worked out for the best and I have no resentments about all of it now. But it really is a reminder to me not to future trip, which I'm so good at doing! :p

Oh, and by the way, it appears as though I may have been able to adjust my schedule so that I don't have to teach at 7:30am anymore (I hope). Regardless of the time, fortunately I only have student teaching twice a week, and the schedule switches week to week whether it is morning or afternoon. Kind of strange huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Sweetie, how are you? I, miss you like to totally much. I, wanna see you!! Mikey Jr. feel's the same also. It sound's like you rhaving alot of fun over there teaching and stuff. I'm happy for you. Everything with Mikey Jr. and I, are doing great. Pam, got into trouble this morining allready. She woke up everyone even Mikey. SHe was hitting Andrea, ( my house mate Andrea) and she was calling her name's and she woke up the entire house. Event he people down stair's. Hey Sweetie, here's joke for ya.
Q. where dose the man on the moon get his hair cut?
A.Eclipes it!!

Well you take care and I'll talkt o ya soon. Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is cestovatela from livejournal (aka the one that lives in Japan). I just read everything from the beginning -- it sounds like you're having a great time and you have an awesome attitude about everything.

Hope all continues to be well! It's been very informative to read about the whole training/assignment process.

Alex said...

Hi Sweetie, Jill, how are you? I, miss you so much. Mikey Jr, dose too. He's at home right now. So if ya wanna know what' snew with me then check out
www.babybear2006.blog.spot.com
It's my blog as ya know. I, am not doing so good right now and not because I, miss you butt because I, saw a movie on cable last night that's called
Human Trafficing and I, am told that it really happen's in real life and it scare's me. Alot so very much. I,am affraid it's gonna happen to me and/or somebodt that I, know and love. Well you have a good day and I'll see ya. Love you allway's!!